Travel assistance tools

Safety Information

This is information about what to do in the case of an emergency, and precautionary measures you can take in advance for a safe stay in Kyoto.

119 is the direct-dial free phone number for non-criminal emergencies
Simultaneous telephone interpretation service is provided in five languages.

Check in advance

It is very important to take basic precautionary measures. Store your valuables at the front desk of the hotel or in the safe in your hotel room. You may also want to keep the originals of your travel documents in the safe and carry copies with you. Don’t forget to obtain health and travel insurance, and please remember to bring enough medication to last the duration of your stay. It may also be a good idea to register with the embassy of your home country before departing for Japan.

Emergency Hospital

University Hospital Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine: 075-251-5255
Japanese Red Cross Society Kyoto Daini Hospital : 075-231-5171
Medical Corporation Kyoto Shimogamo Hospital : 075-781-1158
Kyoto Min-iren Chuo Hospital :075-822-2777
Japanese Red Cross Society Kyoto Daiichi Hospital : 075-561-1121
Takeda Hospital : 075-361-1351
Keishinkai, Kyoto Takeda Hospital : 075-312-7001
Idokai, Jujo Takeda Rehabilitation Hospital : 075-671-2351
Keijinkai, Nagitsuji Hospital : 075-591-1131
Rakuwakai Otowa Hospital : 075-593-4111
Kyoto Social Welfare Foundation Kyoto-Katsura Hospital : 075-391-5811
Ijinkai, Takeda General Hospital: 075-572-5466
Shojukai, Kyowa Hospital :075-573-2122

Search Medical institutions

You can search for Medical institutions by selecting the area, language and medical department on the Japan National Tourism Organization(JNTO) website.
Also, it provides other useful information to help you receive medical care in Japan.

Hospitals with English-speaking doctors

You can find information on hospitals with English-speaking doctors or volunteer interpreters by visiting the Kyoto City International Foundation website:

Medical Services

In the event that you become ill while traveling in Kyoto, medical supplies may be purchased at one of the many local pharmacies. There are many hospitals in Kyoto, ranging from small clinics to large institutions. Credit cards are rarely accepted at Japanese hospitals and pharmacies. If you are insured for medical care, obtain a list of acceptable overseas hospitals from your insurer. In many cases, your hospital bills will be covered by the insurance.

Police Box ("Koban") System

Koban are the manned police boxes located in almost every Japanese neighborhood. They are usually marked with signs in English and red lights. If you need to ask directions; report the lost and found, or stolen items; or report a crime, Koban are the places to go. In the vicinity of tourist destinations they are likely to be staffed by English-speaking officers. If no English-speaking officer is on hand, the police in Koban can make use of a telephone interpreting service. Not all Koban are staffed 24 hours a day. The police can be reached at any time by calling 110 or the local numbers listed below.

Kawabata-police station: 075-771-0110
Kamigyo-police station: 075-465-0110
Higashiyama-police station: 075-525-0110
Horikawa-police station: 075-823-0110
Shimogyo-police station: 075-352-0110
Shimogamo-police station: 075-703-0110
Fushimi-police station: 075-602-0110
Yamashina-police station: 075-575-0110
Ukyo-police station: 075-865-0110
Minami-police station: 075-682-0110
Kita-police station: 075-493-0110
Nishikyo-police station: 075-391-0110

119 is the direct-dial free phone number for non-criminal emergencies

In the event of a medical emergency, call the fire department at the emergency number "119". In Japan, calls for emergency medical services are patched through from the 119 dispatch center in the fire department. Kyoto City offers a simultaneous telephone interpretation service in the five languages of English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese to assist foreign visitors who call 119 in the case of emergency.

How to use the 119 emergency number

1. Dial 119 on any phone.
*The call is free of charge from public and mobile phones.
2. Clearly describe what has happened.
3. Tell the location and, if possible, the address of the place where the emergency has occurred or is occurring.

Stranded by disasters

If you can’t return to your accommodation after an earthquake, please refer this to know what you should do.

Guide map for those stranded by disasters