This museum is a great museum for discovering the history and culture of Kyoto. Permanent displays can be found in the History of Kyoto section, the Fine Arts and Crafts Gallery, the Movie Hall, and the Movie Gallery. Special exhibitions are also held throughout the year.
The red-brick building housing the museum was once the Kyoto branch of the Bank of Japan. This Important Cultural Property is representative of Western-style architecture around the end of the 19th century. Visitors can also shop and dine at "Roji-tenpo," a reconstructed Edo-Period merchant street.
* Address: Sanjo-Takakura, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City, 604-8183
* Tel.: +81-(0)75-222-0888
* Fax.: +81-(0)75-222-0889
* Access: 3-minute walk from the 5th exit of Karasuma-Oike Station on the Tozai Subway Line
7-minute walk from the 16th exit of Karasuma Station on the Hankyu Line
* Entrance Fees: Adults: 500yen, University Students: 400yen, High School Students and under: Free
Special Exhibitions: Additional fee required
* Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
* Hours: 10:00 - 19:30 (Admission until 19:00)
* Closed: Mondays and 12/28-1/3
(If the Monday is a national holiday, the museum is closed the following Tuesday)
* Website: http://www.bunpaku.or.jp/info_english.html